History of Monreal
Living in history
Our municipality is settled since eternal times. Finds from pre-christian time occupy that. "Mons regalis" is mentioned documentary, thus "mountain of the king" for the first time 1229. At that time the count Philipp von Virneburg conveyed the region around Monreal to its brother Hermann. Hermann began to build and for the marks "Kunigsberg" with thick walls make immediately the large castle militaryful. Already 1306 got Monreal municipal rights, only 1642 followed the market rights. Monreal belonged to the area of the Trierer of ore diocese, the Virneburger count however had best relations with the archbishops in Cologne. Therefore conflicts between the Monreal people and Trier were at that time at the agenda.
1545 became extinct the count sex of Virneburg. Trier actually pulled the Lehen Monreal immediately and set own office men on the castle. The lock "lion stone" was destroyed 1632 by Swedish and 1689 of French troops. After the 30-jaehrigen war developed in the place an important cloth industry, supported by the wool of the large herds of sheep of the Eifel. Only in the second half 19. century became this branch of industry victim of the strong international competition. It would be differently come, perhaps one today of "Monreal" would speak and not from tweed.
For the place the collapse of the cloth production was fatal. Monreal became ever poorer. Only the magnificent buildings of past days witnessed from the prosperity that once. Nearly 100 years also in such a way should remain.
Only in the 30´s of the 20. century recovered Monreal. At that time one began to estimate the attraction of the romantic Eifel.